Culture + Arts + Faith + Education

Wednesday, May 24

Finally an update!

So, I have been a little gone for the past couple weeks. The intriguing thing is that I have felt very present to myself everyday. This is good - as it has been a little tumultuous in that department over the last couple years. "Where am I?" is what I have often found myself wondering...

So, here, I am... and since my last post I have been to 5 parties, 2 hikes, 6 runs, 23 trips to Peet's, 1 trip to the mall, cleaned my room and significantly re-destroyed it 4 times, worked over 40 hours, conducted 7 rehearsals, picked up my regalia for baccalaureate/graduation, and sent off most of my program notes for my master's project to the productionist. Oh yeah, and I caught a cold which I am currently nursing. (I think there was a date or two in there as well ;) )

I am surprisingly not exhausted though! Nice!

SOOO, exciting news! I am going to watch the Padre's play in Petco Park this Saturday! My first time there and one more ballpark to check off the list! Groovy! The NL West is pretty competitive right now, so even though San Diego is on the bottom of the list, any game can turn the tides! I love it when we are in that part of the season when every game counts. My A's are in that space right now (well, kinda) with Texas and the Angels... we are always fiddling around our position. The summer months are always fun for ball because it is far enough into the season when most games mean something but you still have a little while before you have to relinquish your hope. In June/July/August we all still have a chance.... I mean at this time last year the Astros were like 15 games back... and they made it all the way! I mean, really, The Astros began the year with a list of problems! Lance Berkman was out for like a month following offseason knee surgery. Jeff Bagwell struggled through a painful first month before deciding it was time to go on the disabled list. AND nearly one-third of the roster was hit with everything from the flu to pneumonia to upper respiratory infections!!!! BUT BUT BUT - the Astros recovered from their abysmal start to go 74-43 the rest of the year -- a .632 winning percentage over four months! Mind you, the White Sox took it 4-0 in the series... but that is a great story too since they hadn't won a World Series Championship since 1917! And... Interestingly enough... the White Sox won their last eight games of the playoffs, tying the all-time record for consecutive wins in a single postseason with the Boston Red Sox in 2004. The Pale Hose were 11-1 overall in the postseason (3-0 in DS; 4-1 in LCS; 4-0 in WS). Since the beginning of Division play and the LCS in 1969, Chicago is one of seven teams to go through a postseason with one or fewer losses.

Just to show you, check this out:
Year Team Record Loss
1976 Cincinnati 7-0 None
1999 New York (AL) 11-1 ALCS Game 3
2005 CHICAGO (AL) 11-1 ALCS Game 1
1989 Oakland 8-1 ALCS Game 3
1969 New York (NL) 7-1 WS Game 1
1970 Baltimore 7-1 WS Game 4
1984 Detroit 7-1 WS Game 2

And yes, I wanted to point out that my babies were on that list, thank you very much. It was the Battle of the Bay series and the earthquake happened. I saw it on TV - it was the pregame hullabaloo - I think I wound up under the kitchen table though.


ANYWAY - I graduate in - count 'em - 17 days. That is less than 3 weeks... less than a month... all the work I have for school will be done June 2nd, when my Master's Project goes up. That is in a week and 2 days. Holy Cabooses.
The master's project is coming along - I am doing this crazy thing where we use theatre to talk about sex. SO - theatre, God, Christianity, sex. Yeah, the biggies. It'll be great.

Going to Sara's baby shower on the 3rd and I start my new part time job at Wild Oats next week sometime! WOW! Looks like I might get some new voice students too!

Well.... hopefully I won't be so long in the chatter next time...... off to work ATC!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are such a sports nerd. talk more about your dates.

Anonymous said...

Phew! I could hardly keep up and I was only reading all that!
Congrats to everything beautiful!
I just came from Grammy's and was helping her to finalize her trip for Saturday. I wrote Saturday because I always forget how to spell t o m o r r o w. I always forget if there are 2 m's or not. Oh well, you get it.
Grammy is so excited. Your Mom had a bit of ride at the end of her plane trip today (6/2) but I was glad to hear she landed okay and can rest overnight.
I'm praying for you all.
Ya know. I don't think I could not even memorize all those details about the ball games. You are good! Maybe your Masters should have been about Baseball and God...you know, like Angels in the Outfield movie....just kidding.
Love ya bunches,
Aunt Michelle

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle,
We leave tomorrow for Minnesota. Have a wonderful time at your graduation. Remember I have seen two of yours and now it is Jordan's turn. An auntie can only spread herself so thin. You will find that out with Lucy! By the way, great name choice.
Stephen and I want to see you soon - maybe a trip up the coast some. Blessings to you and love from your aunt and uncle in Berkeley.