Culture + Arts + Faith + Education

Wednesday, November 7

Response to Uncle

Recently I posted on a toy that glorifies what I feel are unfortunate gender roles. Uncle respectfully responded, essentially asking (or at least what I heard - and we all know that never gets confused!) if this was worth the worry considering several global devastations that concurrently exist.

It got me thinking about why I care about the former and rarely post on the latter.

After a couple weeks of thought, and being witness to a recent HEATED debate, I have come to the realization that I generally feel quite unable to contribute to the successful solution of "ending the war" (just as an example) while I feel like I CAN be a successful part of the solution in gender role issues and the like.

I enjoy seeing moments of "Ah-ha!" and since I do not get the privilege of seeing those in the context of politics, I usually focus on things like faith, culture, arts and education.
In my current work, I have the joy of seeing "ah-ha" moments in issues like gender roles and embedded theology. So those are the things I talk about. I know it, so I talk about it. Generally, it's best to not talk about things you don't know about - so unless I have already done significant research and can substantiate my claims - I just don't talk about it.

In the wise words of my mother:
Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, then open it up and remove all doubt.

So while I care about what I perceive as a world wide ridiculous political situation, I don't talk about it much because I just don't know enough about it to have an intelligent conversation.

Perhaps this is sad and unfortunate, but hey, aren't there enough people out there talking about it in all their uninformed glory? I'd hate to take that away from them.

No comments: