Culture + Arts + Faith + Education

Monday, January 16

The Land of No

Lately I have been venturing through the Land of No. Everywhere I turn there are people saying "NO", places being closed "NO", movies and TV shows teaching the value of "NO". People I love are telling me "NO".
At first I was lackadaisical about the whole thing - if people want to say "NO" to life then oh well for them.
But now, I am just disappointed and hurt. So many things in this life are already bound by "NO" that we don't need to help them. I am beginning to wonder if "NO" is an exuse to not feel the reality of feelings and bear the burden of brokenness. We draw our lines in the sand, we cut our losses, we say goodbye, all in the name of health.
But ya know, sometimes it's the "NO" that is unhealthy. Sometimes you have to go straight into hell and stay there for a while and not run away and say "NO" to "NO".
But, as I am learning, that takes way more courage than most people have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that there are too many "NO"s. But...Every "yes" has a "no" embedded in it. To choose something is to exclude the possibility of choosing something else. Likewise, every "no" has a "yes" embedded in it. It is difficult to face the reality of losing possibilities; we sometimes must grieve the loss of a potentiality as we walk the path of life, choosing to say "yes" to God who infuses things with grace unexpectedly. Thus we can see a "yes" even in a "no". Hell is often a necessary state through which we walk, and to walk through it requires the courage of "yes" to the reality of it, but not a "no" to being transformed to a state of light and life.