Culture + Arts + Faith + Education

Friday, April 6

Everybody is asking.....

Here we are! Paul is so wonderful. Dontcha just love that smile? It is my favorite smile of his; when his cheeks get all squishy and his eyes start to twinkle and his... well, nevermind!Anyway!
Pretty much everyone I see has asked me the "name" question - so I shall answer it today.

My new name is:
Michelle Kristina Markwart Deveaux.

Heavenly, isn't it? Notice the lack of hyphen, and the ever so gentle twist of the "x".

Now, what this means is that I will be Michelle Kristina Markwart Deveaux on all legal documents, such as my SS card and Drivers License.
I shall be Michelle Markwart Deveaux or Mrs. Markwart Deveaux on things that require my full name but are not as legal, such as syllabi, or invitations to parties (hint hint) or signing my name on a Gordon Beirsch receipt.
To my friends and family, who know me well I am already Mrs. Deveaux and to my husband (tee-hee! I said my husband) I am Michelle. Or Mrs. Markwart Deveaux. Or Mrs. Deveaux. Or whatever he wants; we have that agreement.
If my name does not fit on something then it shall be shortened to: Michelle K M Deveaux.

I know some of you are surprised that I would even change my name at all, being the strong empowering woman that I am. I will always be a Markwart! I am WAY too sassy and witty and neurotic to NOT be!
The Markwart in me is a woman of commitment and flexibility, of loyal skepticism, and of just plain FUN TIMES!!!

I gotta tell you though, the Deveaux name and legacy is one that I am proud to be a part of.
On the vanity side of things, I mean, really, Michelle Deveaux? How Diva is that name?! I finally get to live up to my star personality! ;)
But even better - the Deveaux name is a legacy of decency and respect.

Paul's grandfather chose the name Deveaux as the family name in the Bahamas - sometime in the early 20th century.
Clinton Deveaux chose the Deveaux name when he was getting his birth certificate. Clinton did not know his father - but he did know a respectable man whom he very much admired with the name Deveaux. When it came time to write "father's" name, Clinton wrote Deveaux.
What this means to me is that Paul's family legacy is one of choosing and determining their futures and their associations. (Anyone who has met Paul also knows that he is a man of determining his future and associations! He is his own man FOR SURE! Just one of the many reasons I married him.)
The Markwart is more of a go-with-the-flow type. But I respect deeply the drive and determination that the Deveaux family name carries and want those characteristics to be in my life as well.

I proudly change my name to include the Deveaux name, embracing all that comes with it.

May I be a parent that passes that name/legacy on to my children and grandchildren. (And hopefully great grandchildren - I plan to live to 110.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I never got a at the wedding to tell some things at the wedding.

You looked so beautiful. I am so proud to have you in my life as a friend and as my sister. It has been inspiring to see you develop into the woman you are. You had to climb some large mountains and trudge through some slimy swamps. I can appreciate that a lot more than most. As your brother, I had my typical immediate feelings toward you getting married. But they all boiled down to one fact: It is just hard to accept that my role as your brother and the dynamics of our friendship will be changing.

I think God found the right man for both of us. Anybody other than polly-wogg would probably be subject to a side of me that has not been exposed in a long time. Paul fits like pine-tar on a bat.
I would really like to get to know him better, it is important to me.

Brothers and sisters are unlike any other relationship. There is a certain understanding concerning the cause and effect relationship between a chosen course of action and the parental figures that goes unsaid. We watched eachother evolve (or for me devolve) and we are able to understand things about eachother that nobody else can and some people wouldn't want to.

Your music is part of me and my baseball is part of you. This is facinating to me and even to this day I will never know why I started poking at keys and pick'en strings. All I recollect is a silent house when you left. I yelled screamed and pouted while you would practice but I understand now, that all that time your were doing your thing, I was actively absorbing it albeit, not on my own volition.

No other relationships are almost divinely woven into two peoples fabric of life.

Today is a good day to be from four-thousand and 8 Heyer avenue.

I am proud of you and I love you.


Oh yea, thanks for not having any sloshers at the wedding. Well there was Darren, but he is a teacher and does not get out much. He expressed to me he was happy to be there! (b4 he was sippin on the wine)

#11