Culture + Arts + Faith + Education

Wednesday, April 11

Law and Order does it again!

The episode: "Good Faith"
The premise: Churches are getting burned down. Lots of them. Only this most recent one is different. THIS one has a dead body in it too! (Chink-Chink)

The official description of the plot is here:
A church burns and a man is dead. In a series of church burnings, the Detectives Ed Green (Jesse L. Martin) and Nina Cassady (Milena Govich) suspect arson, however this time a victim is found among the charred ruins - the victim is a teacher and basketball coach at a private parochial school. Arson becomes a homicide investigation as the detectives discover the victim was killed prior to the fire. S. Epatha Merkerson, Sam Waterston, Fred Dalton Thompson and Alana De La Garza also star.

So here is the kicker (SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!)

The murdered man (Nash) was a science teacher who taught evolution at a private Christian school. The murderer (Reese) is the widowed father of a young woman (Mary) whom said teacher gave a "F" on a paper about creationism.

The murderer/Dad uses this defense (you're gonna love it):
Defense Lawyer Melnick:
"We are asserting a justification defense."
ADA Rubirosa:
"He's admitting to the murder?"
DL Melnick:
"It's not murder if you are trying to save the life of a third party - In this case, his daughter."
ADA Rubirosa:
"Nash was attacking Mary?"
DL Melnick:
"mmmmhmmm"
ADA Rubirosa:
"We have two witnesses that put Mary at home while Reese was out killing him!"
DL Melnick:
"She doesn't have to be physically present to be in jeopordy.
ADA McCoy:
"Well how could her life possibly be in danger??! What was the threat?!"
Here it is folks:
DL Melnick:
"Divine Retribution."

WOW.

Don't worry, McCoy's response was mine: "Excuse Me?"
And the DL actually said this:
"Like Many Americans, Jacob Reese believes in an all powerful God who punishes non-believers."
YIKES.
Then a well placed Lot's wife reference.


I killed my daughters teacher because I was afraid that my daughter would experience the wrath of God for loosing her faith - because of what she was learning.
I killed the man to defend my daughters life.
Basically, the character thought that his daughter would literally be struck dead for starting to believe evolution might even be remotely possible

(The real reason of course - because when it's only 10:30 and the killer is caught there is always a real reason - is because she had clamitia from having sex with someone at the school, who Dad thought was the teacher dude. It SUCKS when you get wrongly killed!)

Crazy Christians! Crazy Christians!
I was getting irritated again as I watched this episode - one more idiot Christian being represented as the majority. Damn I hate that!!!!
But then I heard it - the money line.

Someone has been reading my blog!


ADA Rubirosa: (while discussing the defense with her colleagues)
"Yeah, but we come off saying he (Reese) is crazy because he literally believes in Biblical retribution - that plays right into Melnicks hands."
District Attorney :
"Does it? I think people of faith would resent the fact that this guy is trying to hide behind religion."


YESSSSSSS!
YES WE DO!!!!!

A sigh of relief washed over me... David Slack, writer of this episode, has heard my plea for some tiny bit of reality when it comes to faith perspective.

My thanks to you Mr. Slack.
Come over for coffee anytime - I can give you more thoughts about the broader less insane viewpoints of Christians.

But that might not make for juicy Law & Order.

More later folks.......


1 comment:

Mark Baker-Wright said...

I actually saw this episode, pretty much at random (Law & Order is not on my regular schedule, and I therefore couldn't even tell you now what time of the week it's on). That guy was definitely a piece of work. I certainly hope that few people watching that thought that he represented most (even right-wing) Christians.