Culture + Arts + Faith + Education

Monday, November 6

My Fiance is FIRED!

So the "You are so fired" quote of the day goes to P-Dog, who whilst determining our votes for tomorrow morning quipped, "It's too much work to vote."
SO FIRED!
Don't worry fans - I rudely commented on his, shall we say, nearsightedness, and then we bantered about my fabulous father or thinking out loud or pizza or something. I can't remember.

To defend the man, he was kidding (kind of), and we did finish up on our readings and sample ballot-ings (for your convenience!) and the decision was mutual to skip the whole judicial/attorney section because who the hell are these people anyway? (Like I can pick a judge with NO history or reference to how they rule!? Sorry - I have been influenced by Law & Order and I KNOW how the judge can make or break a case! So there!)

But the point is that perhaps the Mr. hit on what I was referring to in the post below.... we just don't care enough to vote.
It is difficult to care about something that feels that is has no impact. I am not going to lie to you: your vote doesn't do jack squat.
BUT you have to vote anyway because NOT voting is falling into the trap of forgetting that even as long as we have the illusion of voice we won't stop trying to use it.
Seriously - if they banned voting - no one would fight back except... ummmm... nut jobs! AND we already have enough of those in Alaska and Sonora County! AND - who wants to be known as a nut job?! (besides me of course).
All I am saying is that if we continue to have the ability to speak, if we have the wonderful opportunity to appear as though we are affecting the nation, if we have the nut job idea that we too can make a difference, then we MIGHT think we can do other impossible things too. Like sing the Star Spangled Banner at the World Series or build the next World's Largest Jelly Bean model of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon! That would be an especially great feat considering we don't even know what they looked like. See! Impossible things can happen! So you better vote because you never know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Voting – often it does seem like a waste of time and it certainly is tiring. I found something interesting though: local politics. Someone I actually know is challenging the status quo in my town and all with tremendous odds against him. Remember I live in a town with its own foreign policy.

I even wrote a letter to the Daily Planet expressing my opinion of an editorial I read. This (local) experience actually enhanced my interested in the whole process. So yes – get out there and vote! There are changes that need to be made, we gotta get rid of those nut jobs!

Mark Baker-Wright said...

I did vote, as I have for practically every election since I turned 18. However, I have to say, if this election turns out like the past several have done, especially with so much positive potential going into it... I have to say that I'm completely losing faith in the American process.

maria bjørdal said...

Michelle - I am over the top excited. You are my first American friend to be fired up about voting!

Lvoe you
m

Nick Warnes said...

I'm excited that I just found your blog... I'll stop in fo sho... Thanks for the great lunch yesterday. Your hospitality was amazing...